We’re a mere four days from Legends of the Ring XXI and the guest list looks to be finalized. I’m sure there will be a couple “day of” cancellations – there always is – but hopefully everyone scheduled to appear won’t disappoint us.
Since the lineup is pretty much set, I thought it would be a good idea to compare it to the Legends of the Ring XX lineup. I’m curious to see if LOTR XX had a stronger lineup than what we’ll see on Saturday. So, here we go:
LOTR XX: “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels
LOTR XXI: None
Hard to believe that LOTR XXI will feature no headlining/”platinum level” guest. A few weeks ago, they seemed close on booking someone but that obviously fell through. For shame. For what it’s worth, they claim they don’t book “platinum level” guests for their October show.
Verdict: LOTR XX (obviously)
LOTR XX: Rob Van Dam
LOTR XXI: Chyna
Rob Van Dam has been a convention regular for quite sometime while Chyna is currently on the “Please forgive me so I can get into the Hall of Fame” tour; meaning, she’s been doing the rounds these past few months. Both easily accessible names.
LOTR XX: Magnum TA, Baron Von Raschke, Kimberly Page, Miss Jackie, Rocky Johnson (Block One); MVP, Los Conquistadors, Bart Gunn, The New Age Outlaws (Block Two)
LOTR XXI: Vickie Guerrero, Carlito, George Steele, Sgt. Slaughter, Don Muraco, Jerry Brisco (Block One); Taz, Barry Windham, Mike Rotundo, Lacey Von Erich, Dan Spivey, Maven (Block Two)
The LOTR XX Superticket had a few gems: Kimberly Page, Rocky Johnson (who replaced Terry Funk), and The New Age Outlaws. MVP & Von Raschke were solid additions. The rest were convention regulars.
The LOTR XXI Superticket, however, is stacked. Guerrero, Rotuntdo, Taz, Sgt. Slaughter, and Windham are great additions. The rest are solid additions (although Lacey Von Erich is pretty eh). Very strong Superticket.
Verdict: LOTR XXI
- AJ Pan: Leva Bates (Blue Pants)
- Big Event NY: Mick Foley (Dressed as Mankind), Justin Roberts, & Rikishi
- DMJ Promotions: Bushwhacker Luke & Eric Young
- ESS Promotions: Val Venis, X-Pac, Curt Hawkins, & P.J. Black
- Eventworn: Melina, Aksana, Kelly Kelly, & Tayrn Terrell
- LOTR/Kayfabe Commentaries: Kevin Sullivan
- Lucky 13 Promotions: Rob Conway, Danny Doring, Hardcore Holly, & Molly Holly
- MZ Promotions: Dean Malenko
- Pro Wrestling Syndicate: New Jack, Sabu, Genie (Melissa Coates), Bubba Ray Dudley, Justin Credible, Raven;
- Real Pro Wrestling Federation: Trevor Murdoch & The Boogeyman
- RF Video: Greg Gange
- RDP Promotions: Rockstar Spud
- Sinners & Saints Tattoo: Jimmy Hart & Jerry Sags
- TMART Promotions: Lex Luger & Larry Zybszko
- Ultimate Starz Promotions: Mickie James, Bobby Roode, & Magnus
- Wrestling Marx: The Blue Meanie, Stevie Richards, & Hollywood Nova
- Independent Wrestling Talent: Amish Roadkill, Mandy Leon, Gary Michael Cappetta, Jim Cornette, Greg “The Hammer” Valentine, Jimmy Snuka, Tessa Blanchard, Colt Cabana, Shane Douglas & Andrew Anderson
- Cancelled Talent: The Harlem Heat (Lucky 13), One Man Gang (MZ Promotions), Ricky Steamboat (PWS), Jake Roberts (PWS), Bobby Heenan (TMART), & Sunny (Independent Talent)
Chris Morrow Productions: John Morrison, The Headbangers, & Robbie Lee
Damage 365 Radio: Bob Orton, Justin Credible, & Kacee Carlisle
DMJ Promotions: Mada, Chelsea Green, Patrick Clark, Daria & Tanner
ESS Promotions: Gene Snitsky
Highspots & North East Wrestling: Jerry “The King” Lawler
K&S Wrestlefest: Hillbilly Jim &
Outback Jack (CANCELLED)
Lucky 13: Debra, Jazz, Heidi Lee Morgan, & Nikolai Volkoff
MZ Promotions: Billy Kidman & Dean Malenko
Pro Wrestling Syndicate: Vampiro, Curt Hawkins, Colt Cabana, & Vince Russo
RDP Promotions: Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin, Kenny Dykstra, & Oscar
RF Video: Dark Journey
Wrestling Ink: “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff
Independent Wrestling Talent: Amish Roadkill & Mandy Leon
Book Signings: Bob Backlund & Bill Apter
While LOTR XX was stacked with ECW talent, they did offer a nice variety of talent. It was a strong vendor guest list.
LOTR XXI vendor guest list, however, leaves a lot to be desired. There’s a few intriguing names – Vampiro, Russo, Kidman, & Morrison – but the rest of the guest list is pretty meh. I am looking forward to the Backlund & Apter book signings and, if time permits, I might participate in Apter’s Q&A. But, man…I’m just not that excited for this group of vendor guests.
Verdict: LOTR XX
So LOTR XX takes the Headlining Guest category (by default) and the Vendor Guest category while LOTR XXI has the edge in the Superticket Guests category. XX & XXI “washed” for the Featured Guest category.
How do you feel heading into LOTR XXI?